I recently posted on my team’s blog how one can print over-sized documents on your regular printer (which uses A4 papers), WITHOUT decreasing the size of the paper. The article talked how to print for yourself. What if you do not want to print it yourself but want to share with someone who does not know how to tile? You are a graphic designer and your boss cannot print that A3 sized advert you just designed, on his regular desktop printer. You are an architecture who has designed the layout of a big building. You company will share it with your client and you cannot send any instructions on tiling along with the mail.
It is easily possible, with free Adobe Reader, to tile and share these tiles with others. The underlying idea is instead of printing directly to your printer, print to a PDF, and then share this PDF with others. Just follow the steps below.
- Ensure that you have the Adobe PDF printer installed on your machine.
- Print the over-sized file using the Adobe PDF printer. This should results in a PDF file with over-sized pages.
- Open this PDF file in the free Adobe Reader X.
- Print to a PDF file using the Adobe PDF printer. While printing select the Tile Large Pages or Tile All Pages option in the Print dialog.
- (Optional) Checking the Cut Marks option prints marks on individual tiles. Checking the Labels option prints date and tile coordinates on individual tiles. Both these options assist in assembling tiles after printing.
Though someone who is printing tiles should print in simplex mode. If they forget they would end up printing on either side of the paper. To prevent such surprises you can embed basic print preset in a PDF file. For this you need Acrobat Professional (or Acrobat Standard). Read official documentation here.
- Open the PDF file containing the tiles in Acrobat Professional.
- Go to File > Properties > Advanced.
- In the Print Dialog Presets, select None for Page Scaling, Simplex for DuplexMode, and check the checkbox for Paper Source by Page Size.
- Click OK and save the PDF file.
- Share this file containing tiles and the print settings.