Here’s a running list of FrameMaker tips I am compiling. I shall continue to update these, so feel free to bookmark and keep visiting this post 🙂
These are quick to read and are an immense productivity boosters. Happy authoring!
- Refresh the display by pressing Ctrl+L, if the display doesn’t seem correct while authoring.
- Create a new table row by hitting Ctrl+Enter.
- Add a tab inside a table cell by pressing Esc+Tab.
- Use FluidView format to preview documents. More info here.
- Modify the
ClipboardFormatsPrioritiesproperty in the
maker.inifile, to change the order of Paste Special options or the default paste option. Use this Google search to find the relevant information.
- Open the Paste Special dialog box, when pasting, by pressing Ctrl + Shift + V.
- Apply character formats using Ctrl+8 or F8. See a demo here.
- Apply paragraph formats using Ctrl+9 or F9. See a demo here.
- Create a site dictionary containing organization-wide terms like, product names, company name, and so on. It helps all your writers use spell checking effectively. More info is here.
- Run advanced searches in FrameMaker search window by using wildcards and some regular expressions. A list of wildcards is here.
- Jump to hyperlinks and cross-reference destinations in a FM doc by holding down Alt and Ctrl while clicking an xref.
- Lock or unlock a FM document using the shortcut Esc F l k. Or you can use the lock icon in the toolbar for Toggle View Only. Try this option if you suddenly cannot edit a document in spite of having edit permissions on the file.
- Use this desk pinup to quickly refer to keyboard shortcuts in Structured FM.
- Use this mind map to quickly refer to keyboard shortcuts in Structured FM.
What quick tips do you have under your belt? Share them in the comments below. Feel free to add a link (or two!) for more details.